In vertical garden, the garden is grown upward (vertically) with the help of trellis or other support systems, rather than growing them horizontally on the ground.
In nature, plants grow in the upright direction; it is not challenging to train them to extend in the upward direction. The basic principle behind vertical gardening is to a great extent similar to hydroponics.
The plant root system is sustained with a fibrous material supplemented with plant nutrients. Vertical gardens can be kept indoors as well as outdoors. It is a novel, uncomplicated and a high yielding growing system that makes use of the top-down and bottom-up supports for various plants in both lesser and larger garden areas. It helps to build living screens or living walls between different areas, secluding your yard or home.
Vertical gardening can also be done to grow flowers and some vegetables.
Why Should You Have an Indoor Vertical Garden?
There are many ways to optimize, beautify and give your house and office a touch of tranquillity. Vertical garden solve the purpose!
Here are some of the main benefits of having a vertical garden in your vicinity:
OPTIMUM UTILIZATION OF SPACE: It is good to go vertical when you cannot plant horizontally due to lack of space. Indoor vertical garden helps to make the most of unused spaces by planting herbs and vegetables indoor.
AIR PURIFIER: Indoor plants eradicate many air toxins thus purifying it. They function as live air filters and have the capacity to absorb around 87% of interior air toxins within just 24 hours.
CALMING EFFECT: Indoor plants add to the serenity of your house and work place. This can improve your concentration level and productivity. They also give an aesthetic touch to your homes and offices making is more vibrant and lively.
POCKET FRIENDLY: Vertical gardens have the potential to beautify your home or office in a cost-effective way as compared to the expensive home décors.
Indoor Vertical Garden Kit / DIY
Indoor gardening can be a challenge if you’re short of space. Here are some ideas to build your vertical garden.
Vertical Pallet Planter: use vertical pallet planter to grow indoor plants
Dresser Planter: use old dressers to plant adorably
Indoor Ladder Planter: use ladder to keep pots in the balcony or rooftop garden
DIY Pot Hanger: hang the pants just by using scrap wood, rope, some woodworking tools
TV Stand Vertical Garden: use TV stand to place your plant pots
Hanging Plastic Bottle Cactus Garden: cut plastic unused bottles into half and use them to plant succulents
Shoe Organizer Vertical Garden: plants in and shoes out! make use of your hanging shoe organizer to plant indoor
Mason Jar Vertical Garden: get creative with the ready to throw mason jars
Hanging Coconut Planter: use the coconut shells to hang plants
Pallet Container Holder: Position a pallet board and suspend numerous pots on it
Vertical Picture Frame Planter: grow indoor plants within a picture frame and hang it on your wall.
Vertical Pot Holder From Pallet Planks: just use the pallet planks and pallet board and nail it to the wall
Iron Grid Pot Holder: make grids by welding the iron rods to hang the pots.
GNG is known to have some amazing pots and plants that can be used in building your dream vertical garden. The pots available include some nice ceramic, metal, coir, hanging, plastic, dung and biodegradable pots.
Indoor Vertical Garden Plants Best Suitable in India
The kind of plants that you will use to keep in your office or home will depend on the amount of sunlight available and the location. Indoor plants need shady areas whereas; outdoor plants are sun-loving or semi-shade plants.
1. Money Plant
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Avoid arguments and sleep disorders
- Vigorous growth
- Purifies air and removes toxins
- Grown from its own cutting
- Can grow in a water-filled container without any soil
2. Oxycardium Golden Plant/ Sweetheart Plant
- Easy to grow
- Vigorous growth
- Tolerates low light quite well
- Prefers moderately moist soil
- Cleans formaldehyde from air
3. Peperomia Green Plant
- Preserve water; drought tolerant
- Needs less frequent watering
- Emits high oxygen content
- Purifies indoor air
4. Syngonium/ American Evergreen/ Arrow Head
- Ornamental plant
- Needs less light
- Purifies air
- Removes benzene, formaldehyde
5. Aglaonema/Chinese Evergreen
- Easy to care
- Removes formaldehyde
- Less frequent watering needed
6. Chlorophytum Comosum/ Spider Plant
- Fast growing
- Removes VOCs
- Clean formaldehyde, xylene and toluene
- Less frequent watering needed
Indoor Vertical Vegetable Garden
Vertical gardens are categorized based on the purposes they serve. Some vertical gardens are destined for aesthetic purposes whereas others provide fresh produce such as fruits, vegetables and herbs.
Below are some vegetables that can be grown in vertical garden indoors.
- Varieties of lettuce can be grown indoo
- Can adjust well to artificial sunlight
- Requires low temperature to prevent rapid flowering lettuce
- Needs more and regular watering
- Promotes brain health
- Fights inflammation
- Supports weight loss
- Cuts diabetes risk
- Boosts heart health
- Helps fight cancer
- Requires less light exposure
- Gives an unceasing supply of leaves
- Leaves may bolt in heat
- Promotes good eye health
- Lowers hypertension
- Prevents anemia
- Stimulates gastrointestinal health
- Maintains healthy bones
- Not difficult to grow indoor
- Low water requirement
- Blood purifier
- Prevents cold and flu
- Maintains healthy skin and hair
- Prevents heart disease
- Anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic properties
- Prevents cancer
Indoor Vertical Herb Garden
Below are some herbs that can be grown in vertical garden.
- Easy to grow indoor
- Used as a herb for cuisines throughout the world
- Prefers heat and bright light
- Not a long term indoor plant
- Can be kept and used only for few weeks
- Plant a new bunch of seeds every week
- Good for digestion
- Possesses anti-inflammatory properties
- Supports good liver function
- Detoxifies body
- Fights depression
- Diabetes management
- Promotes healthy gut
- popular herb
- Easy to grow and plant indoor
- Frequent harvesting required
- Peppermint plant is a better choice
- Thrives in shade
- Requires some light exposure every day
- Improves brain function
- Decreases breastfeeding pain
- Improves cold syndromes
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- Improves irritable bowel syndrome
- Relieves indigestion
- Helps remove bad breath
- Most commonly used herb
- Easy to grow
- Power house of vitamin A, B, C, K
- Contains iron and potassium
- Germination of parsley seed can be challenging; may take up to 2 weeks
- Doesn’t require much sunlight
- Less maintenance cost
- Grows slowly
- Prevents and cures inflammation
- Reduces risk of cancer
- Improves immune function
- Fights disease
- Protects the blood vessels